The sciences building was built to replace La Réale, which was badly damaged after the Second World War. The first phase of work began along the Moselle River in 1953 and was completed on the first of October 1956. La Réale was evacuated, demolished, and the new building extended along Goussaud Street. These buildings included science rooms, unmarked rooms, and history-geography rooms, as well as a partially buried new gymnasium,. This new ensemble was named Palais des Sciences. In 1981, the Palais des Sciences was modernized, including the widening of its corridors which are today two meters wide. Today, the building includes mainly of science rooms.