English – The small college
The small college,”Petit lycée” in french opened in October 1845 to provide for the increase of student after the “Monarchie de Juillet”. It contained dormitories, study rooms, classrooms, a dining hall, a visiting room and a large and initially well ventilated courtyard. Built by the architect Gautiez in 1843, it was built to compete with private colleges. It is a very classic building because it was only intended for its functional aspect, it recalls the barracks of the Republic. It should also be noted that it was renovated after the 1851 flood when the cellars were flooded. In its time, the building was at the forefront of modernity thanks to centralized heating systems, particularly, but also to some materials used to build it.